We are officially half way through 2017! How did that happen? I feel like the year is flying by and I’ve been so busy. Sometimes with children it feels like nothing ever gets done. At the end of the day Jay and I will talk and ask “what did we do today?” We were busy all day but somehow it seems like there is absolutely nothing to show for it. Of course, some days are better than others and feel very productive with a lot of wonderful family time.
I’m using this post to reflect on the accomplishments of our year thus far. It’s easy to get into the swing of all the “I didn’t do this” or “I didn’t do that” so I’m going to focus on all the fantastic accomplishments we’ve had in the first half of 2017.
- 2nd place at Cheerleading State Competition for co-ed devision
- I took 4 FFA students to State Convention where the got 3rd in the Environmental and Natural Resources Competition
- Jay had a 1st year female thrower qualify for state
- Aurora turned 3 and Rigel turned 1
- I finished my 4th year teaching
- I completed two online courses to extend my AK teacher certification for another year
- I got hired at a new school district, but still in Alaska
- I took a 2 day Brightways training for my new school district and absolutely loved it! It has been, by far, the best training I’ve ever taken as an educator!
- I got my motorcycle permit, learned how to ride a motorcycle, and actually passed my motorcycle road test and got my motorcycle license!! Woot woot!
- I read a novel. (Gasp! With children?! I don’t remember the last time I actually FINISHED a novel since I’ve had kids…)
- Jay and I both got our HAM licenses
- I finished Aurora’s baby clothes quilt
- I have continued to speak to my children strictly in Spanish (this is difficult since Aurora spends her day speaking English…but she has begun to respond to me in Spanish! This is a giant success for me!)
- Aurora has learned the full life cycle of meal worms and beetles through our cool little meal worm pets! She absolutely loves looking at these things every morning and collecting the new pupa. We put them in a separate little container so the adult beetles don’t eat the vulnerable pupa.
- I canned spruce tip jelly, blubarb jam, and dandelion jelly. All new recipes this year.
- We’ve canned A LOT of Chicken!
- Aurora is getting pretty good at her beach combing skills!
- And of course, the all important, family time. We’ve had so much time together and it’s just been absolutely awesome.
Now we’ve been doing a mad dash to pack everything up that we possibly can before we move. We have about one month left here in Kodiak and then off we go! We don’t have a lot to pack and it’s a bit early to sell bigger items like our bedroom set and couches…I’d prefer not to sleep and sit on the floor for a month…Aurora’s toys and books can’t get packed just yet or else she’ll just be bored when we’re at home and we’re still using our gym equipment so it’s a juggling act of when to sell stuff/pack and not leave it until the last minute.
But, it will be done and even though it seems like forever until we move I know it’ll sneak up on is and I won’t even realize it’s August!
I hope everyone has been enjoying their summer and don’t forget to reflect on the positives of your life!2017